Looking for a Mini Adventure to take the kids on after school? Want to celebrate a great week or take a “just because” adventure? Maybe you need some family time to decompress. Here are some fun things that can fit into the time between after school and dinner (or just have dinner on the go!)
Photo Credit: Rockville Library
Connecticut Libraries offer so much more than books. Avon Free Public Library is basically a children’s museum. Wallingford Library offers a whole space full of hands-on activities. Richmond Library in Marlborough offers sensory bins for check out and a whole room full of fun family activities.
Plus- there are literally hundreds of programs going on all fall long.
Whichever one you choose, it is your source for free family fun. Also, don’t forget to check out your library calendar for events happening near you.
Photo Credit: Jorgensen Center
Head to the Theater for a Show
I’m thinking live theater, but honestly there are some fun movie theaters out there too.
Some of the after school shows we are most excited to see:
- Thursday, September 21: Hamid Rahmanian’s SONG OF THE NORTHat Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- Thursday, October 5: ISIDORE QUARTET at Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- Thursday, November 2: Le Consort at Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- Thursday, November 17: American Ballet Theatre Studio Company at Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts
- Tuesday, November 28: A Magical Cirque Christmas at the Palace Theater in Waterbury
- February 8-18: Disney’s Frozen at the Bushnell
Also- did you know that CT Kids Under 18 get FREE tickets for the Lenard Chamber Series at Jorgensen?
Photo Credit: Back Again Board Game Cafe
PlayPlace/Arcade/Gaming Cafe for Fun After School Snacks
Snack and Hang:
Plus more arcades:
- Nomads Adventure Quest South Windsor
- Sonny’s Place in Somers
- Dave and Busters, Manchester
Phone Credit: Stone Age Rock Gym
Taking some time to play is GREAT for kids after school.
We’ve been exploring playgrounds around the state (and even came up with a playground trail!) Plus, there’s lots of information on our TikTok and Youtube Pages.
Some of our Favorites so far:
- Buckingham Park
- Addison Park
- Paderewski Park
- Beardsley Park
- Elizabeth Park
- Patriot Park
- Airline Trail State Park
- Gillette Castle State Park
- Ferry Landing State Park
- Riverfront Park in Portland
- Harkness Memorial State Park
- Colchester RecPlex
Photo Credit: Xperiment VR
Virtual Reality Adventure:
You really have to try this to understand it- and we promise, it is well worth the trip. Xperiment Virtual Reality in Trumbull and Orange offers incredible experiences for kids age 7+ and adults of all ages. The Vault Virtual Reality Center in Seymour is another great pick.