- This event has passed.
January 21, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pmFree
The town of Washington is commemorating the life, works and spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. by hosting a day of service titled “Washington Gives.” All are invited to join with families, friends and neighbors to volunteer and participate in our commemorative day of service.
Events begin at 10 a.m. and run until 2 p.m. throughout Washington with various organizations in support of our greater community in need.
A sample of the events that will take place
- 10am-2pm: The Judy Black Memorial Park and Gardens. Volunteer opportunities and Service Day information.
- “What are you doing for others” community participation art piece. Families welcome, art supplies provided.
- Creation of Hearts of Hope. The Hearts of Hope will be kept to use within our community for those experiencing difficulties throughout the year (in partnership with the local churches and Department of Social Services).
- Shepaug senior Bailey Pote will be gathering kindness pledges for the “Be Kind” Initiative for her senior project.
- 10am-11am: Valley Spirit Cooperative and Wellness Center. Adult Meditation and Kid’s Yoga.
- Collecting sleeping bags for the New Milford Homeless Shelter Coalition.
- 10am-12pm: Steep Rock Association. Volunteers will work with the SRA Trails and Preserves Coordinator on pruning encroaching vegetation on trails in Hidden Valley Preserve (198 Bee Brook Road).
- 11:30am-12:30pm: Hickory Stick Bookshop. Presentation by Chris George, Exec. Director of Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services (IRIS) on refugees, asylum seekers and undocumented immigrants and their legal challenges. Collecting household goods, jewelry making supplies and sewing notions for IRIS
- 10am-2pm: William Pitt Sotheby’s R.E. Washington Environmental Council will be collecting slightly used (50% life left) sneakers, cleats and sports sandals. Shoes will go to small businesses in Africa via Woodbridge Running and Rerun shoes. Reusable grocery and produce bags will be available for sale.
- 1pm – 2pm: Washington Town Hall. Pilobolus workshop in partnership with viewing of the ASAP! “I have a dream” film.
- Collecting new toys and fleece blankets for CT Children’s Medical Center.
- Throughout the day….
- The Hen’s Nest Art Gallery- Photo exhibit from IRIS, titled Refugees of CT
- Collecting household goods, jewelry making supplies and sewing notions for IRIS
- Washington Food Market, Food drive to benefit FISH and Washington/Warren Food Bank.
- Byrde + the b Salon, Locks of Love donations can be made here.
- Newbury Place Sheet and towel drive to benefit St. Vincent De Paul Mission of Waterbury. They will give out a $5 credit that can be used that day in their Washington Depot store, for anyone that donates items. One per family.
- Washington Town Hall, Fundacion Perros sin Nombre. Donations of dog collars/leashes to benefit homeless dogs.
- Steep Rock Association, Volunteers to take photographs within the land trust for the SRA digital image library. Criteria and registration forms available at The Judy Black Memorial Park and Garden. Top fourteen photos will be exhibited at SRA office with reception on 02/01/2019.
- Shepaug film students will be documenting the days’ activities and reporting for FOX News.
- Check this link for updates on additional activities: https://explorewashingtonct.com/featured_events/washington-gives-national-day-of-service/.
Collected goods and monetary donations from this event will be distributed to the following organizations. FISH (Friends In Service to Humanity), Washington/Warren Food Bank, Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, Fundacion Perros sin Nombre, IRIS (Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services), New Milford Homeless Shelter Coalition, St Vincent De Paul Mission of Waterbury, and more.
If you have questions about opportunities to participate, volunteer or donate, please email Ali Psomas from ASAP! email@example.com.