Saturday, June 9 is the annual Connecticut Open House Day when Connecticut residents are invited to take local adventures exploring the remarkable destinations all around them with discounted or FREE admission, free gifts! Connecticut Open House Day 2018 is an Opportunity to Explore Connecticut’s assets – the museums, the estates, the farms deep in history. Our state has exciting arts, history and tourism and these sites special exhibits and activities this day for their guests.
This annual celebration encourages residents to try new venues or re-visit favorite attractions and destinations such as museums, theaters, art studios, sports parks, spas and others by offering residents special incentives – including special activities, free or discounted admission. From relaxing and active to historic and contemporary or culture and nature-oriented activities, Connecticut offers a variety of experiences all within a close drive. Open House Day is a great way for you to experience all our state has to offer so that then you can become “Connecticut Ambassadors” who take pride in sharing your new discoveries with visiting family and friends.
The event is coordinated by the Connecticut Office of Tourism, a division of the Department of Economic & Community Development. Connecticut Open House Day 2018 specials and hours of operation vary by property so research online first! Check back often since new participating properties are added to the list. Over 220 participating locations are listed in alphabetical order by town, then by the name of the property.
Here is a sample of Destinations’ offers:
- Adventure Park at Storrs: All visitors will receive a 10 percent ticket discount from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. where beginners to advanced climbers will be able to experience an “adventure in the trees.”
- American Clock & Watch Museum, Bristol: Free admission from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Avery-Coop House, Groton: Free admission from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., with costumed interpreters, old fashioned children’s games and complimentary refreshments.
- Barnum Museum, Bridgeport FREE admission from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., along with free Barnum bookmarks, Barnum-blend coffee tasting, guided tours and post cards.
- Bethlehem Christmas Town Festival Committee along with the Connecticut Society of Santas, present the “Christmas Town Festival Preview” providing the opportunity to take photos with “Santa on Vacation,” plus free face painting and crafts for children; from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- Bishop’s Orchards Farm Market & Winery, Guilford: Open from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., offering complimentary apple cider donuts and balloons for children.
- Dinosaur State Park, Rocky Hill: Free admission from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- Fairfield Museum and History Center, Fairfield: Free admission from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Fascia’s Chocolates in Waterbury: Free behind-the-scenes tours every hour from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Governor’s Residence, Hartford: Open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., with a special treat of lemon ice served on the outside patio.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Center Birthday Celebration, Hartford
- High Meadow Bed & Breakfast, Wallingford: Offering house and garden tours from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tours will include architectural features of the 18th century center chimney house and refreshments, such as hot and iced tea, homemade bread and jam.
- Palace Theater, WaterburyThe Palace Theater is the host venue for the Miss CT Pageant 2018 and as such is offering a special sneak preview opportunity during CT Open House Day on June 9. The public is invited on that day from 10:0 am – 12:00 pm to view some of the pageant rehearsal process and get autographs from the contestants. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased that morning only in person at the Box Office 100 East Main St. This is a wonderful chance to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes activity that lead up to an event of this type. Stamford Museum & Nature Center, Stamford: Free admission for the first 100 visitors from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Westford Hill Distillers, Ashford: Free guided tours of the distillery – generally not open to the public!, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
FREE Events are highlighted by The Hartford Courant online!
Also use Facebook to stay connected to this event! https://www.facebook.com/events/165609077304567/